True crime documentaries. Netflix is full of them, whether it’s a whodunit, a wrongfully convicted person, someone who concocted an outrageous scheme, or about a convicted killer, there is always something about true crime to watch.
- The first documentary is probably the one that everyone who is into true crime has an opinion on. Making A Murderer is about Steven Avery who was convicted for a crime, released, then convicted again along with his nephew for something else. Did he do it? Was his nephew Brendan Dassey coerced into giving his statement? Is the police department dirty? It’s has had 2 seasons so far, and I honestly have changed my mind so much about what actually happened while I was watching this.
- The next documentary that is worth talking about, and definitely binging is Evil Genius. This one is a crazy ride. This is about a bank heist, but it turns out that it’s really about so much more. This is one that I had actually heard about before I watched it. You don’t forget seeing a news story about a man with a bomb collar around his neck. It does get a little grisly at times, but honestly, if you are watching true crime docs then it won’t bother you. Give it a chance, you won’t be sorry.
- Conversations With a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes. This is one documentary that not only creeped me out but intrigued me at the same time. There is something so strange about watching footage and hearing interviews of someone that was a convicted killer. With this, you are literally getting into the mind of a killer, and something about that terrifyingly wonderful
- The Staircase is another documentary that after watching, I’m still not 100% sure what happened. It’s about novelist Michael Peterson and his wife’s death. There are so many different theories as to what might have happened to his wife, but no definite answer. This also gives a good look at what a high profile murder trial looks like.
- The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann is an extremely sad case. While on vacation with her family, Madeleine at 3 years old, was taken from her bed in the hotel they were staying at while her parents where eating somewhere else. There are so many things going on with this case. At first, it was believed that her parents did something and covered it up. As of today, it still isn’t known what really happened.